General Bioeconomy Resources
- Bioeconomy Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) – We’ve recently put most of the course lectures for three online courses about the bioeconomy: The Sustainable Bioeconomy, Biomass Conversion, Strategic Business Analysis for the Bioeconomy online as MOOCs.
- SBBP Youtube Channel – Educational resources about the bioeconomy and lab activities for high school settings
- What is the Bioeconomy? – Introductory videos about the bioeconomy and bioproducts
- Sustainable Development Goals – Learn about the 17 global SDGs
- Bioeconomy in the News – News articles. Bioproducts are making headlines!
- What is Biopreferred? – Learn about the USDA Biopreferred Program and view the catalog
Bioeconomy Career Resources
- Bioeconomy Careers – Biocareer Map and other career resources
- Biofuels Careers – From US Department of Labor
- STEM Career Awareness Website – Career fact sheets, videos, and other resources to introduce students to various STEM careers
- Green Jobs: Forest Careers – Project Learning Tree offers engaging Middle- and High-School Youth in Exploring Green Careers resources.
- Natural Resources Career Panels – Several video recordings of virtual career panels with NC State alumni and environmental industry professionals. Click on the name of the panel for a list of current panelists.
- Find more STEM and Bioeconomy career resources and activities at the bottom of our Lab Activities page!
Online Lab Simulations and Activities
- List of online labs/simulations – 100+ labs/simulations for a range of subjects
- Labster is offering free access to their simulations during COVID. Please contact us to obtain access. We recommend the following simulations: Fermentation, Biofuels and Pigment Extraction, Carbohydrates Lab, Synthetic Biology, Enzyme Kinetics, Stoichiometric Calculations, and Experimental Design.
- PhET Simulations from University of Colorado are a long-time favorite and free. The ones in HTML5 work well as computer applications. Each one comes with a teacher guide. We recommend the following simulations: Energy forms and changes, pH scale, pH basics, Balancing Chemical Equations.
- Biofuels Games from the Creative Discovery Museum in Chattanooga, TN guides students to explore various fuel sources available in different regions in the United States. We recommend their Roadtrip Challenge Game app.
Teacher Professional Development Resources
- Bridging the Gap 2019 Presentation Slides (PDF) (posted Oct 2019)
- Bridging the Gap 2018 Presentation Slides (PDF) (posted Oct 2018)
- Biotechnology Research and Careers from NCABR – An online professional development course for educators in grades 6-12. The online, self-paced course includes activities for students.
- SciREN Triangle Researcher/Educator Open House (posted April 2020)
- Register for the Annual Trillium Sustainability Workshop (posted Mar 2019)
Scholarships and Competitions