This website offers support from Harry Watt of Wood Products Extension for North Carolina's forest and wood products industry.
NC Wood-Website for Supporting and Promotion of North Carolina’s Wood Products Industry
[note this website is managed by Harry Watt, Wood Products Specialist. Harry officially retired on January 31, 2023 and is stilled involved in the US wood products industry. Please contact Harry by phone or email regarding any topic or interest related to wood products]
The mission of Wood Products Extension within the Department of Forest Biomaterials is to increase the competitiveness and profitability of North Carolina’s wood products industry, improve markets, and increase consumer and industrial understanding of wood products and their proper use. This webpage is managed by Harry Watt, Wood Products Specialist of the Wood Products Extension Department. Harry’s focus is improving the profitability of forest and wood products businesses and assist individuals in the areas of wood utilization.
Statewide Marketing Grant Project
In 2019 the US Forest Service awarded us a grant to organize a statewide forest and wood products marketing team and we put together a five person team made up of three Wood Products Extension Specialists from Wood Products Extension + the North Carolina Forest Service’s Utilization Forester + a private industry marketing specialist. Take this link to learn more about our NC Forest and Wood Products Marketing Project.
Firewood Workshops to 2022
Links to Webpages by Topics-updating in progress!
- NCSU Wood Products Alumni
- Best Management Practices Education for Wood Products
- Equipment Vendors in North Carolina
- Firewood Information and Workshop Materials
- Lumber Dry Kilns
- Local Option Forestry and Wood Products-Small Tract Harvesting Problem
- Lumber Export Conference North Carolina 2022
- National Firewood Workshops to 2022 Wisconsin
- NCSU Wood Science and Wood Products Alumni
- Public Furniture Project in North Carolina
- Primary Wood Products in North Carolina
- Residential Cross Laminated Timber Project 2018 to 2022
- Sawmill Education for Small Scale Businesses
- Secondary Wood Products in North Carolina
- Seven Workshops Grant-Firewood, Upholstery Frames, Export Lumber
- Small Sawmill Business Workshops-2021 to 2022
- Tiny Forrest Page
- Upholstery Frame Workshops
- Veneer and Plywood in North Carolina
- Tiny Forest Page
We have a current survey in process that will be completed by the end of July 2023 in both a pdf format and MS Word format. Here is the link for the PDF version. Here is the link for the MS Word version.
A list of pdf informational downloads
1-The Importance of a Small Sawmill to Its Community-link
2-Small Sawmill Business Management-download
3-Business Guide for Small Sawmill Businesses-2022-download
4-Business Guide for Live Edge Slab Businesses-2022-download
5-Business Guide for Small Dry Kiln Businesses-2022-download