SPRING 2018 SOUTHEASTERN DRY KILN CLUB MEETING ANNOUNCED: REGISTER NOW !
WHERE: Technical Session at La Quinta Inn & Suites-Hickory, located at
- Regional Log and Lumber Exports, by Clay Altizer
NC Forest Service, Raleigh, NC.
- Saving Steam Energy by Better Steam Utilization, by Thomas Monroe,
Monroe Sales Company, Shelby, NC
- Using and Investing in an In-Line Moisture Meter is Like Having Fire Insurance – Would You Do Without?, by Claus Staalner, Brookhuis-America, Suwanee, GA
- Tour #1 – Select Hardwoods, Millers Creek, NC
- Tour #2 – Minton Sales, Lenoir, NC
- Tour #3 – Boldesign, Hudson, NC. Lunch will be served courtesy of Boldesign!
Meeting will adjourn from Tour #3
SOUTHEASTERN DRY KILN CLUB MEMBERSHIP
141 Furrow Way, Alcoa, TN 37701 (865) 977- 8333
- 1:00 PM – Dr. Gene Wengert – Quality Drying Options and Techniques Prior to Kiln Drying: Detailed Description, Pros and Cons (emphasis on oak).
- 2:15 PM – Dr. Adam Taylor – UT Research and Phytosanitation
- 3:15 PM – Break
- 3:45 PM – Mr. Tommy Stiles – Kiln Maintenance
- 4:45 PM – Stress Relief
- 6:00 PM – Dinner & Business Meeting in meeting room.
- 7:30 PM – Refreshments in Hospitality Suite
Friday, November 3, 2017
8:00 AM – Breakfast to go. Provided with registration.
8:30 AM – Leave Hotel for Havco, 150 Oak Hill Ln, Vonore, TN 37885
9:15 AM – 10:30 AM – Tour Havco
SPRING 2017 SOUTHEASTERN DRY KILN CLUB MEETING ANNOUNCED
REGISTER NOW !
June 8 – Friday, June 9, 2017
Emporia, VA Area
Planning for the 2017 Spring Meeting is nearly complete. Details follow:
Thursday – June 8, 2017
1:00 PM Technical Session- Holiday Inn Express, 1350 W Atlantic St, Emporia, VA 23847
- Wood-Destroying Beetles – a Boring Subject, by Mike Waldvogel, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
- Thermally Treated Wood: Properties and Process, by Dan Mathews, SII Dry Kilns, Lexington, NC
- Hygroscopic Issues of Installed Hardwood Flooring, by David Paal, Premier Flooring, Gainesville, GA
4:00 Troubleshooting Q & A Roundtable
4:30 Southeastern Dry Kiln Club Business Meeting
6:00 Dinner at the Carolina BBQ & Chicken, 1395 Skippers Rd, Emporia, VA
Dinner sponsored by the Southeastern Dry Kiln Club
Friday – June 9, 2017
Tour #1 – Virginia Carolina Forest Products, Lawrenceville, VA
Tour #2 – Ontario Hardwoods, Keysville, VA
Meeting will adjourn from Ontario Hardwoods.
REGISTRATION: To preregister download the registration form (click here). Cutoff date to register is May 31st. The registration fee is $30 per person. This includes the meeting space and dinner. There is no registration fee for spouses (or significant other) of members, or retired and lifetime members. Please prepay by sending a check payable to the Southeastern Dry Kiln Club to Phil Mitchell, NC State University, Campus Box 8003, Raleigh, NC 27695-8003. You can either FAX the completed form to (919-515-6302) or let Phil Mitchell (at 919-515-5581 or firstname.lastname@example.org) know you are coming so that we can plan the dinner. You can still pay (cash or check) at the door, but it makes our job easier if you pay-in-advance.
HOTEL: The meeting hotel where we will have dinner is the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS, 1350 W. Atlantic St., Emporia, VA 23847. The hotel’s phone number is (434) 336-9999. You must make your own hotel reservations if you plan to attend. Ask for the SE DRY KILN CLUB rate of $103.00 per room per night plus tax. The hotel cutoff date to get this special rate is May 20th. Please make your hotel reservations now so you are not left without a room.
FALL 2016 SOUTHEASTERN DRY KILN CLUB MEETING ANNOUNCED: REGISTER NOW !
Oct. 27 – 28, 2016
Waynesville, NC Area
- Fans and Fan Systems: do you have enough air? by Alan Robbins, USNR Drying System Product Manager
- Sapstain and Sapstain Prevention, by Mike Freeman, Consulting Independent Wood Scientist in Wood Preservation
- Using Differential Shrinkage to Estimate Cupping, and other Software, by Phil Mitchell, NC State University
Tour #2 – Canton Sawmill, Canton, NC
Meeting will adjourn from Canton Sawmill
SPRING 2016 SOUTHEASTERN DRY KILN CLUB MEETING (Join SEDKC)
April 21 – 22, 2016
La Quinta Inn & Suites-Hickory, 1607 Fairgrove Church Rd, Conover, NC
(828) 465-1100 Ask for the SE DRY KILN CLUB rate of $89 plus tax
Thursday – April 21, 2016
1:00 PM Technical Meeting – La Quinta Inn & Suites, , Conover, NC
DR. GENE WENGERT will be discussing: DRYING FROM GREEN TO 25% MC – Practical, Non-Air-Drying Methods Sheds, Fan Sheds and Predryers: Design, Benefits, Cautions, Operating Techniques
4:00 Q & A on any drying topic with Dr. Wengert
4:30 Southeastern Dry Kiln Club Business Meeting
5:30 Social – La Quinta Inn & Suites, Conover, NC
6:00 Dinner – Both Social and Dinner sponsored by the Southeastern Dry Kiln Club
Friday – April 22, 2016
• Tour #1 – Granite Hardwoods, Granite Falls, NC
• Tour #2 – Associated Hardwoods, Granite Falls, NC
Meeting will adjourn from Associated Hardwoods
HOTEL: The meeting hotel will be the LA QUINTA INN & SUITES in Conover, North Carolina. The hotel’s phone number is (828) 465-1100. You must make your own hotel reservations if you plan to attend. Ask for the SE DRY KILN CLUB rate of $89 plus tax per night. The hotel cutoff date to get this special rate is April 7th. Please make your hotel reservations now so you are not left without a room.
CLICK HERE FOR REGISTRATION FORM
FALL 2015 SOUTHEASTERN DRY KILN CLUB MEETING
(This is a Joint Meeting with the Ohio Valley Lumber Drying Association and the Appalachian Dry Kiln Club)
November 11 – 13, 2015
Johnson City, TN
ANNUAL HARDWOOD DRY KILN OPERATOR’S SHORT COURSE
Sponsored by the Southeastern Dry Kiln Club
May 19 – 22, 2015
NC State University
This short course will provide practical knowledge about how lumber is effectively kiln dried and scientific background on related wood properties and processes. It will have value for the beginner as well as experienced kiln operators and with supervisors, sales, and marketing personnel. Instruction, by university faculty and industry experts, will be both in the classroom and through hands-on lab exercises using our 1000 BF steam heated dry kiln.
For more details contact Phil Mitchell at email@example.com or call 919 515 5581 or download the brochure.
SOUTHEASTERN DRY KILN CLUB MEETING
October 30 – 31, 2014
Lexington/Thomasville, North Carolina
Hotel: Holiday Inn Express, 351 Vineyards Crossing, Lexington, NC (make your own hotel reservation)
Tours: Prime Lumber Company and Joseph Samuel Specialties, Thomasville, NC
Meeting Registration Per Person: $30
Download the Meeting Notice and Registration Brochure or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Southeastern Dry Kiln Club was founded in 1950 to promote the professionalism and knowledge of dry kiln operators and lumberyard managers in the wood industry. The club accomplishes its mission by hosting two meetings annually, kiln operator short courses, and other related courses. Some of the greatest benefits to members are the informal contacts they make with other operators, giving them resources to tap when they have questions.
Lumber drying is one of the critical steps in making lumber usable for fine furniture. It is a scientific process that relies on the experience and good judgement of the kiln operator. If the lumber is dried too quickly, the lumber will be destroyed. If the lumber is not dried to the correct moisture content, the furniture manufactured from the wood will suffer in service problems such as splitting.
Phil Mitchell of NC State University is currently serving as the Secretary-Treasurer of the Southeastern Dry Kiln Club. He can be contacted at email@example.com or (919) 515-5581.