External Funding 2002 to 2020. $13,464,696
Funding as PI $4,110,680
Projects starting in 2020 ($409,658)
32. PPA 7721. 2019-2020. USDA Farm Bill. Field Studies to Align Emerald Ash Borer Life Stages To Parasitoid Release For Successful Biological Control in North Carolina. (08/2020-7/2021). $52,000.
31. SCAHIP Pilot Studies Program, University of Kentucky. 2020. Does wood pellet heat reduce ammonia exposures to farm workers in poultry houses? PI. J. Richmond-Bryant, CO-PI. E. Guthrie Nichols. (01/2020-12/2020). $15,200.
30. USDA – NIFA. Higher Education National Needs Fellowships Program (NNF). 2020. Forestry of the Future: Improving student readiness and workforce participation of underrepresented minority populations in forest resources. PI Z. Leggett, Co-PI: Elizabeth Guthrie Nichols, Stacy Nelson, Sam Cook, Mark Megalos, Rajan Parajuli, Louie Rivers. (05/01/2020-04/30/2024). $246,000.
29. North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. 2020. NC Sustainable Pellet Production for Poultry. PI. S. Ghezehei, CO-PIs D. Hazel, E. Guthrie Nichols, J. Richmond-Bryant, D. Saloni, R. Gonzalez. (04/01/2020-03/31/2022). $96,458.
Projects starting in 2019 ($440,947)
28. USDA – AFRI Exploratory Research Program (ERP). Coastal Plain Aquifer Vulnerability To Extreme Storms And Implications For Rural Prosperity, Food Security, And Water Resource Resiliency. PI. E. Guthrie Nichols. CO-PI. Dave Genereux, NCDEQ Groundwater Management Division, Statera – Dr. Damian Shea. (05/01/2019-4/30/2021). $200,000.
27. North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. 2019. The Silviculture of Populus for Veneer. PI. S. Ghezehei, CO-PIs D. Hazel, E. Guthrie Nichols (03/01/2019 – 8/31/2021). $107,757.
26. North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. 2019. Populus-based Production of Solid Biofuels. Saloni, D. CO-PIs S. Ghezehei, D. Hazel, E. Guthrie Nichols (03/01/2019 – 6/30/2021). $133,190.
Projects starting in 2018 ($142,512)
25. NCDA & CS. Bioenergy Research Initiative. 2018. Intercropped Bioenergy and Veneer Feedstock Co-production. PI – Ghezehei, S. Co-PI. D. Hazel and E. Guthrie Nichols. (4/11/2018-3/31-2018). $132,512.
24. Water Resource Research Institute (WRRI). 2017. A Watershed Model to Understand Groundwater and Surface Water Interactions to Support Sewer Utility Resilience at the Jacksonville N.C. Forest Water Reuse Facility. PI: E. Guthrie Nichols (01/01/2018-12/31/2018). $10,000.
Projects starting in 2017 ($3,225,234)
23. USDA – NIFA. 2016. Preparing Diverse and Rural Students and Teachers to Meet the Challenges in the Bioproducts and Bioenergy Industry. PI- Venditti, Richard, Kelley, Stephen S. Gonzalez, Ronalds Wilfredo. McConnell, Thomas Eric. Nichols, Elizabeth Guthrie Nichols. Park, Sunkyu. Jameel, Hasan. Blanchard, Margaret R. McKeand, Steven E. (09/01/2016 – 08/31/2020) $2,974,672.
22. North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. 2017. Bioenergy Research Initiative Grant Program. Predicting SWRC Productivity and Economic Feasibility. PI. E. Guthrie Nichols, CO-PI. S. Ghezehei, D. Hazel, R. Cook, L. Kurkalova (04/2016 – 03/2021). $250,562.
Projects starting in 2016 ($642,313)
21. USDA /USEPA Water for Agriculture National Challenge Program. 2016. Municipal Wastewater Application To Forests: Participatory Science To Understand Human Exposure And Risks To Chemical Contaminants Of Concern. PI. E. Guthrie Nichols, J. Delborne, D. Shea, and D. Rashash. (05/2016-12/2020). $484,890.
20. North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Bioenergy Research Initiative Grant Program. Western North Carolina Bioenergy Forest Demonstration. P.I. D. Hazel, Co-PI. E. Guthrie Nichols, Solomon Ghezehei. (April 2016 – March 2018). $120,400
19. National Science Foundation. 2016. RAPID: Collaborative Research: Impacts of Extreme Flooding on Hydrologic Connectivity and Water Quality in the Atlantic Coastal Plain and Implications for Vulnerable Populations. Emanuel E. (PI), Co-PI. E. Guthrie Nichols, J. Gray, K. Martin. (12/2016 – 11/2017). $29,023.
18. Soil PAH and Tree Biomass Inventory at the U.S. Coast Guard Training Facility Fuel Farm. PI – E. Guthrie Nichols. ARCADIS, U.S. Inc. (6/2016-12/2016). $8,000.
Projects starting in 2015.
17. NCSU Subcontract – Southeast Partnership for Integrated Biomass Supply Systems. PI – Kelley, Stephen. Forest Biomaterials. University of Tennessee (Prime – US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA)). 08/01/2011 through 07/31/2016. $3,940,212
Projects starting in 2014.
16. NC Department of Agriculture. NCDA & CS Bioenergy Research Initiative. 2014. Fertilization Trials to Evaluate Populus Productivity. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols, and Co-PI D. Hazel. (July 2014 – May 2017). $89,958
15. NC Sea Grant/Water Resources Research Institute. 2014. Land Application of Aquaculture Effluents To Prevent Surface Water Eutrophication and Promote Groundwater Re-Infiltration in Coastal North Carolina.. PI – Daniels, Harry; Co-PI. Nichols, E.G. and Hazel, D. W. (July 2014 – June 2015). $39,719
Projects starting in 2013.
14. USDA NIFA. Higher Education Challenge (HEC). 2013-2017. A Collaborative Renewable Energy Assessment Curriculum to Engage Science and Non-Science Majors in Sustainable Energy Production on Agricultural Landscapes. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols, J. Banks, T. Cleveland, L Taylor, D. Hazel, M. Elahi, J. Rousch, J. Wojiescheski, R. Sutton. $365,294.
13. NC Department of Agriculture. NCDA & CS Bioenergy Research Initiative. 2012-2018. Hybrid Poplar and Cottonwood Trials for Biofuel Feedstock Production in North Carolina. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols, and Co-PI D. Hazel. $324,775.
12. NC Department of Agriculture. NCDA & CS Bioenergy Research Initiative. Populus Trials for Biofuels Production in Western North Carolina. P.I. Dennis Hazel and Co-PI E. Guthrie Nichols. (March 2013-March 2016). $149,998
Past External Projects (2012 to 2002).
11. Biofuels Center of North Carolina. 2011. Environmental Protection and Biofuel Production on Waste Application Fields. #2011-108. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols, Co-PI’s D. Hazel and K. Tungate. (June 2011-Dec 2012). $150,908.
10. Environmental Protection Agency/North Carolina Department of Environmental and Natural Resources/Division of Water Quality 319 Program. January 2010-January 2013. Is It Too Good To Be True? “Phyto” Protects the Pasquotank from Pollution. # DWQ 2862 P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols. $136,216.
9. Development of protocols to assess and manage groundwater vulnerability in watersheds: Phase I: Cost-Effective Tools to Characterize Nitrogen Export to Waterways. P.I. – Kathleen Farrell (NC Geological Survey), # DWQ 1580. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichol, Co-PI’s, D. Hazel (NCSU), M. Megalos (NCSU). $117,835.
8. Environmental Protection Agency/North Carolina Department of Environmental and Natural Resources/Division of Water Quality 319 Program. (October 2005-September 2008) Phytoremediation to Prevent the Non-Point Source Discharge of Gasoline-Contaminated Ground Water to the Pasquotank River. #EW 060208 P.I. – E. Guthrie Nichols, Co-PI’s, Atkinson, B. (NCDENR), Landmeyer, J. (USGS). (EW06028) $240,584.
7. Environmental Protection Agency/North Carolina Department of Environmental and Natural Resources/Division of Water Quality 319 Program. (January 2006-December 2008) Black Creek Watershed Assessment, Monitoring, and Restoration Planning Program. P.I. – Christy Perrin, Co-PI’s, Nelson, S., Gregory, J., E. Guthrie Nichols. $175,996.
6. National Science Foundation/EAR – Instrumentation and Facilities. (June 2005) Acquisition of Multi-use Isotopic Ratio Mass Spectrometry, Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry, and Particle Size Analysis Systems: Upgrade of Isotope Biogeochemistry Laboratory. P.I. – Blair, Co-PI’s, E. Guthrie Nichols, Fountain, Leithold, Schwietzer. (EAR-0447095) $211,126.
5. British Petroleum, Inc. (BP). (Sept. 2004-September 2008). Phytoremediation to Prevent Petroleum Hydrocarbon Discharge to the Intercoastal Waterway. P.I. – E. Guthrie Nichols. $15,000.
4. National Science Foundation/BES. (Dec. 2003- April 2009). Applications of 13C tracer studies and stable isotope geochemistry to determine rhizosphere alteration of PAH bioavailability in contaminated geomedia. P.I.- E. Guthrie Nichols, Co-P.I. – B. Goldfarb, N. Blair. (BES-0337453) $434,103.
3. National Science Foundation – EMSI. (Sept. 2003-May 2005). Role of Environmental Molecular Interfaces on the Chemical and Biological Reactivity of Pollutants. (P.I. Patrick Hatcher and S. Traina, OSU, Co-PI’s, E. Guthrie Nichols), (5,800,000 total, CHE-0089147, NCSU $174,023.
2. USDA. (Sept. 2003-Dec. 2005). Sediment Toxicity and Chemical Speciation Screening for the Conasauga River. (P.I.- E. Guthrie Nichols, E., Co-P.I. – C. Hofelt, P. Johnson). $3,000.
1. The Nature Conservancy. (March 2003-August 2005). Sediment Toxicity and Chemical Speciation Screening for the Conasauga River. (P.I.- E. Guthrie Nichols, E., Co-P.I. – C. Hofelt, P. Johnson). $100,000.
Past Internal Projects.
NC STATE DELTA. 2017. Expanding graduate certificates for the Environmental Assessment Program in Renewable Energy Assessment. PIS, Goldfarb, Nichols, and Taylor. (July 2017 to June 2018). $90,000
NC STATE DELTA. 2016. Online Undergraduate Certification in Renewable Energy Assessment. P.I., E. Guthrie Nichols. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols, (July 2016 to June 2017). $65,000
NC STATE DELTA. 2015. Online Undergraduate Certification in Renewable Energy Assessment. P.I., E. Guthrie Nichols. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols, (July 2015 to June 2016). $81,000
NC STATE DELTA. 2014. Online Undergraduate Certification in Renewable Energy Assessment. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols. (July 2014 to June 2015) $60,000.
NC STATE DELTA. 2013. Online Undergraduate Certification in Renewable Energy Assessment. P.I., E. Guthrie Nichols. $48,000 (July 2013 to June 2014).
NC STATE DELTA. 2012. Online Undergraduate Certification in Renewable Energy Assessment. P.I., E. Guthrie Nichols. $48,620 (January to June 2013).
NCSU Student Educational Technology Funds. 2013. Acquisition of a Freeze Dryer. P.I. E Guthrie Nichols. $22,000.
NC STATE Internationalization Seed Grant. 2011. Understanding Better How Trees Use Water to Benefit Coupled Natural Human Systems in South Africa. P.I., E. Guthrie Nichols. (January 2012-June 2012). $5,000.
NC STATE DELTA IDEA Grant. 2011. “Phytotechnologies for the Practioner.” Funded on 8/30/2011 but deferred due to sabbatical for E. Nichols in Fall 2012. P.I. E. Guthrie Nichols. $8,000.
NCSU Student Educational Technology Funds. 2011. Acquisition of a Picarro Thermal Module for the Analysis of H and O Isotopes in Tree Tissues. P.I. Nichols and Emanuel. $25,000.